- Register of Deeds
- Birth Certificates
Effective January 1, 2017, entitled persons may obtain a birth certificate for a birth that occurred anywhere in the state of Wisconsin, from any county's Register of Deeds office. A certified copy of a birth certificate may be required to obtain a state-issued driver's license or identification, for travel to foreign countries, to obtain a passport or for benefit purposes.
A certified copy of a birth certificate issued by our office will be printed on security paper with raised seals. State law restricts who may obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate. A certified copy may be issued to:
- The person named on the certificate
- The spouse of the person named on the certificate
- The registered domestic partner of the person named on the certificate
- A parent of the person named on the certificate
- A sibling of the person named on the certificate
- A child of the person named on the certificate
- A grandparent of the person named on the certificate
- A person authorized in writing by one of the above (The written authorization must accompany the request and the relationship of the authorizing party to the subject of the record must be clearly explained.)
- A person who can demonstrate that the certificate is required to determine or to protect a personal or property right.
If you do not meet one of the above criteria, you cannot receive a certified copy of a birth certificate.
If you are entitled to receive a certified copy and are able to come to the office in person, the fee is $20 and the copy will be made while you wait. Proof of ID is required. Office hours are 8 am through 4 pm, Monday through Friday.
To order a birth certificate by mail, please complete an application from the FORMS AND DOCUMENTS section of this website. The fee is $20, check or money order, and the certified copy will be sent via regular mail, usually on the same day we receive your request.
Additional copies of the same record, ordered at the same time, are $3 each with any of the methods of ordering.